[2134]VS 2008 crashes while Find / Replace on large file

while working on my VB solution i have renamed a variable (no rename refactoring, just overwritten) which caused over a hundred red error ticks from R#. I tried to correct these errors with the normal find / replace. During the operation VS reacts slower and slower with each replace and ending up in a crash.

The file i was editing is a module with around 2.500 LOC. The variable i tried to replace was local to a method declaration. The body of the method has around 1.000 LOC.

It seems to be very hard to find the reason for the performance problems with VB. The last few builds where quite acceptable on performance for me, but the current build taxes my patience. Also in my sense builds with even numbers are generally slower than builds with odd numbers.

Regards
Klaus

2 comments

Hello Klaus,

Are you able to reproduce this behavior? Could you please also check if this
happens when ReSharper is suspended under Tools | Options | ReSharper | General?
Thank you!

Andrey Serebryansky
Senior Support Engineer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

while working on my VB solution i have renamed a variable (no rename
refactoring, just overwritten) which caused over a hundred red error
ticks from R#. I tried to correct these errors with the normal find /
replace. During the operation VS reacts slower and slower with each
replace and ending up in a crash.

The file i was editing is a module with around 2.500 LOC. The variable
i tried to replace was local to a method declaration. The body of the
method has around 1.000 LOC.

It seems to be very hard to find the reason for the performance
problems with VB. The last few builds where quite acceptable on
performance for me, but the current build taxes my patience. Also in
my sense builds with even numbers are generally slower than builds
with odd numbers.

Regards
Klaus
---
Original message URL:
http://devnet.jetbrains.net/message/5300802#5300802



0

Hello Andrey,

unfortunately i'm not able to reproduce the behavior. But meanwhile i had deleted the R# cache, maybe this made trouble. For the future i will delete the cache each time i install a new EAP build to avoid problems with old cache entries.

Regards
Klaus

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.