upgrade pricing on resharper 4.0/ .net 3.x support

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my resharper 2.x to 3.x but I would like to know what the upgrade policy is going to be for resharper 4.0, which i assume will support the latest .net 3.x features/vs2008 etc

there was some mention of this previously, but nothing had been decided yet.

I honestly wouldn't mind (much) if i had to pay to upgrade from 3.x to 4.x of resharper. But i dont think i would want to pay the same price i would pay upgrading from 2.x to 3.x since i'm assuming/hoping the support for .net 3.x will be something that is going to be released relatively soon.

Can anyone from jetbrains tell me if there has been any sort of decision on this? I've been holding off on purchasing an upgrade to 3.x because of this.

thanks

11 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello,

I am wondering the same thing. Does anyone know ?

Thanks,

Jorn

0
Comment actions Permalink

Personally, I'm hoping there will be a 3.5!


0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm curious about that...

I'm actually waiting with buying a R#3 license for the 'users who bought
R# 3.0 after will get 4.0 for free' announcement :)

Wiebe


Hello,

I would like to upgrade my resharper 2.x to 3.x but I would like to know what the upgrade policy is going to be for resharper 4.0, which i assume will support the latest .net 3.x features/vs2008 etc

there was some mention of this previously, but nothing had been decided yet.

I honestly wouldn't mind (much) if i had to pay to upgrade from 3.x to 4.x of resharper. But i dont think i would want to pay the same price i would pay upgrading from 2.x to 3.x since i'm assuming/hoping the support for .net 3.x will be something that is going to be released relatively soon.

Can anyone from jetbrains tell me if there has been any sort of decision on this? I've been holding off on purchasing an upgrade to 3.x because of this.

thanks

0
Comment actions Permalink

I just emailed their sales dept and what they said was that resharper 4.0 will be offered as a paid upgrade option. The upgrade price will be 60% off the full price. And that resharper 4.x will be released approximately 3 months after vs2008 is released, which means i suppose that 4.x will be due out sometime around the summer of 2008.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks for the info Merk :)

0
Comment actions Permalink

I hope Intellij reconsiders this plan. We've stepped up to 3.0 specifically to be able to work with VS2008. RS 4.0 is effectively the update meant to catch up with features introduced in that wave of .net updates. I would not be a happy camper if forced to pay twice for what I would consider part of the same upgrade.

-Michael

0
Comment actions Permalink

i basically feel the same way. I think they sort of got caught in the middle. I think they wanted to release 3.x with its new features, but they realized they couldn't release it if it didnt offer some support of vs2008 since people are already using the beta version.

I'd be happier if they offered it as a free upgrade....i think the most i'd be willing to pay would be half the upgrade price i have to pay for 3.x

as it is, i'm holding off on buying the 3.x upgrade until 4.x is available. 2 upgrades in 6 months is a bit more then i'm comfortable paying for.

0
Comment actions Permalink

We've been holding off on 3.0, but today our EAP expired. I am torn between the prospect of paying twice and going through a competitor evaluation.

-Michael

0
Comment actions Permalink

VS2008 will actually be released to web for MSDN Subscribers by december. This could mean that there will be a version 4 of ReSharper by March.

0
Comment actions Permalink

We've decided to stay put on 2.5.x for now. The 3.0 version had too many
issues (bugs, performance) and not enough to really entice us over to
upgrade.

However, 4.0 will be a necessary upgrade for the syntax and new C# support,
and we're eagerly looking forward to that. I just hope they fix all the
peformance and memory issues, as well as all the ASP.NET/Website issues
(though I guess many have been rectified as of 3.0.2 now).

Given the trade-offs between bugs and enhancements, timing of releases and
prices, it just seemed there was no compelling reason for us to pay for an
upgrade to 3.0 that few in our organization would benefit from, and then pay
again for 4.0 which is what we will really want and need.

"Michael" <no_reply@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
news:9266127.1190675966739.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

We've been holding off on 3.0, but today our EAP expired. I am torn
between the prospect of paying twice and going through a competitor
evaluation.

>

-Michael


0
Comment actions Permalink

That would be nice, but I doubt the actual release date of VS2008 is what is driving the schedule. More likely its a convenient way to make a 6 month schedule sound more palatable.

-M

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.