208: CTRL+Click is killing me

In VS, the default behavior of CTRL+Click is to select a "work" with a
single click. The new "hyperlink" feature is driving me mad, and I haven't
found a way to turn it off. Am I missing something? Please help, I use this
all of the time!

Thanks,
Jeff


12 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Why don't you just double-click to select a word? I've never heard of
anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...? I didn't even know this
feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using it. How is it more
convenient than double-clicking to select? Or Ctrl-W for that matter?

Is this seriously used often by people in general?

"Jeff Key" <spam@sliver.com> wrote in message
news:djm9nd$ck5$1@is.intellij.net...

In VS, the default behavior of CTRL+Click is to select a "work" with a
single click. The new "hyperlink" feature is driving me mad, and I haven't
found a way to turn it off. Am I missing something? Please help, I use
this all of the time!

>

Thanks,
Jeff



0
Comment actions Permalink

Why don't you just double-click to select a word? I've never heard of
anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...? I didn't even know
this feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using it. How is it
more convenient than double-clicking to select? Or Ctrl-W for that
matter?


Maybe; but one could argue - "how is Ctrl+Click to navigate to a symbol any
more convenient than hitting CtrlB"? Personally I prefer CtrlB as it means
I don't need to take my hands off the keyboard - one of the biggest benefits
of ReSharper.

Is this seriously used often by people in general?


Yep, I use it all the time in VS as well. It makes it heaps easier to do
a batch cut-and-paste, as you just hold down Ctrl, click the word, then hit
X (while still holding Ctrl - i.e. cut).

I could probably live without it in favour of Ctrl+Click being navigate,
but perhaps a setting would be nice?


0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Gerrod,
I also didn't know about Click to select a word. Most other applications use a double click to select a word and a triple-click for a line! Interestingly Word now uses Click for following hyperlinks so R# is now consistent with that! Ronnie >> Why don't you just double-click to select a word? I've never heard >> of anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...? I didn't even >> know this feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using it. How is >> it more convenient than double-clicking to select? Or Ctrl-W for >> that matter? >>]]>

Maybe; but one could argue - "how is Ctrl+Click to navigate to a
symbol any more convenient than hitting Ctrl+B"? Personally I prefer
Ctrl+B as it means I don't need to take my hands off the keyboard -
one of the biggest benefits of ReSharper.

>> Is this seriously used often by people in general?
>>

Yep, I use it all the time in VS as well. It makes it heaps easier to
do a batch cut-and-paste, as you just hold down Ctrl, click the word,
then hit X (while still holding Ctrl - i.e. cut).

I could probably live without it in favour of Ctrl+Click being
navigate, but perhaps a setting would be nice?



0
Comment actions Permalink

Why don't you just double-click to select a word?


Because I don't want to! :)

I've never heard of anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...?


Now you have.

I didn't even know this feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using
it.


I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my health.

How is it more convenient than double-clicking to select?


My pinky is already on the CTRL, so I'm doing less work. I've shown this to
people and they've loved it. You should try it. It's contagious.

Is this seriously used often by people in general?


Some people, yes. It's the beauty of options: Give them to people and they
will be used!

As hard as it is to believe, I really do use it and enjoy using it.
Plug-ins shouldn't change default behavior without giving an obvious means
to reverting to the expected behavior.

Enjoy,

Jeff


0
Comment actions Permalink

Jeff Key wrote:
>>Why don't you just double-click to select a word?


Because I don't want to! :)

>>I've never heard of anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...?


Now you have.

>>I didn't even know this feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using
>>it.


I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my health.

>>How is it more convenient than double-clicking to select?


My pinky is already on the CTRL, so I'm doing less work. I've shown this to
people and they've loved it. You should try it. It's contagious.

>>Is this seriously used often by people in general?


Some people, yes. It's the beauty of options: Give them to people and they
will be used!

As hard as it is to believe, I really do use it and enjoy using it.
Plug-ins shouldn't change default behavior without giving an obvious means
to reverting to the expected behavior.

Enjoy,

Jeff

I use ctrl click, its good for scanning over documents, replacing text,
just as good as ctrl h, but different. If it's a known shortcut in vs
then I beleive it is good practice as well as courtesy to leave it as it
is. If I don't use something, I would never use that fact as an argument
for everyone else to cease using it.

I use it, I know people who do, and I too like using it. It is a
standard I believe and it should be left that way.

:)

w

0
Comment actions Permalink

Actually it's not a "standard" of any kind that I'm aware of. Most
applications use ctrl-click to navigate a URL or (in this case) navigate to
a definition. Nowhere in the windows standard is ctrl-click the same as
double click, or is ctrl-click the same as "select word" that I've ever
seen. Ctrl-W and double clicking just seem SO VASTLY more convenient and
intuitive to select words...

Just my two cents.

"Wayne Douglas" <wayne@codingvista.com> wrote in message
news:djql54$qk7$1@is.intellij.net...

Jeff Key wrote:

>>>Why don't you just double-click to select a word?
>>
>>
>> Because I don't want to! :)
>>
>>
>>>I've never heard of anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...?
>>
>>
>> Now you have.
>>
>>
>>>I didn't even know this feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using
>>>it.
>>
>>
>> I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
>> that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my
>> health.
>>
>>
>>>How is it more convenient than double-clicking to select?
>>
>>
>> My pinky is already on the CTRL, so I'm doing less work. I've shown this
>> to people and they've loved it. You should try it. It's contagious.
>>
>>
>>>Is this seriously used often by people in general?
>>
>>
>> Some people, yes. It's the beauty of options: Give them to people and
>> they will be used!
>>
>> As hard as it is to believe, I really do use it and enjoy using it.
>> Plug-ins shouldn't change default behavior without giving an obvious
>> means to reverting to the expected behavior.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>>

I use ctrl click, its good for scanning over documents, replacing text,
just as good as ctrl h, but different. If it's a known shortcut in vs then
I beleive it is good practice as well as courtesy to leave it as it is. If
I don't use something, I would never use that fact as an argument for
everyone else to cease using it.

>

I use it, I know people who do, and I too like using it. It is a standard
I believe and it should be left that way.

>

:)

>

w



0
Comment actions Permalink

Paul Bradshaw wrote:

Actually it's not a "standard" of any kind that I'm aware of. Most
applications use ctrl-click to navigate a URL or (in this case) navigate to
a definition. Nowhere in the windows standard is ctrl-click the same as
double click, or is ctrl-click the same as "select word" that I've ever
seen. Ctrl-W and double clicking just seem SO VASTLY more convenient and
intuitive to select words...

Just my two cents.

"Wayne Douglas" <wayne@codingvista.com> wrote in message
news:djql54$qk7$1@is.intellij.net...

>>Jeff Key wrote:
>>
>>>>Why don't you just double-click to select a word?
>>>
>>>
>>>Because I don't want to! :)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>I've never heard of anyone using ctrl-click to select words before...?
>>>
>>>
>>>Now you have.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>I didn't even know this feature existed, and I can't imagine ever using
>>>>it.
>>>
>>>
>>>I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
>>>that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my
>>>health.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>How is it more convenient than double-clicking to select?
>>>
>>>
>>>My pinky is already on the CTRL, so I'm doing less work. I've shown this
>>>to people and they've loved it. You should try it. It's contagious.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Is this seriously used often by people in general?
>>>
>>>
>>>Some people, yes. It's the beauty of options: Give them to people and
>>>they will be used!
>>>
>>>As hard as it is to believe, I really do use it and enjoy using it.
>>>Plug-ins shouldn't change default behavior without giving an obvious
>>>means to reverting to the expected behavior.
>>>
>>>Enjoy,
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>
>>>
>>
>>I use ctrl click, its good for scanning over documents, replacing text,
>>just as good as ctrl h, but different. If it's a known shortcut in vs then
>>I beleive it is good practice as well as courtesy to leave it as it is. If
>>I don't use something, I would never use that fact as an argument for
>>everyone else to cease using it.
>>
>>I use it, I know people who do, and I too like using it. It is a standard
>>I believe and it should be left that way.
>>
>>:)
>>
>>w



In vs, it is the way it is and thats it, I shouldn't have used the word
standard. :)

0
Comment actions Permalink

I use Ctrl-Click all the time to select a word. It is especially useful if I decide to do something like make a number of public methods private for instance. I will hold ctrl, click on the word "private" somewhere, and while still holding ctrl, C-Click-V-Click-V-Click-V over each "public" word I want to change.

I think the point is we should not be forced to change a useful behavior like this. Member and type names in VS are not hyperlinks. We already have a ctrl-click behavior for literal hyperlinks in VS just like the Word functionality.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the more options the better. Just make it an option that can be turned off or reconfigured if it changes some default behavior in the IDE.

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Jeff Key" <spam@sliver.com> wrote in message
news:djohau$9o5$1@is.intellij.net...

I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my
health.


If you're that concerned with carpal tunnel then you ought not be using the
mouse/trackball/pointing device at all when you've got a keyboard
equivalent.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry, my comment should've appeared as:

]]>
I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my health.
</notReally>


"Jim Holmes" <jim@IterativeRose.com> wrote in message
news:djr7du$ad2$1@is.intellij.net...
>

"Jeff Key" <spam@sliver.com> wrote in message
news:djohau$9o5$1@is.intellij.net...

>
>> I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
>> that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my
>> health.
>

If you're that concerned with carpal tunnel then you ought not be using
the mouse/trackball/pointing device at all when you've got a keyboard
equivalent.



0
Comment actions Permalink

Well don't I look silly now!

"Jeff Key" <spam@sliver.com> wrote in message
news:djr7ka$b7d$1@is.intellij.net...

Sorry, my comment should've appeared as:

>

<notReally>
I can't imagine having to double-click all the time. Each click gets me
that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking out for my
health.
</notReally>


0
Comment actions Permalink

We will add an option to turn off Ctrl-Click navigation.

Valentin Kipiatkov
Chief Scientist, Vice President of Product Development
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

In VS, the default behavior of CTRL+Click is to select a "work" with a
single click. The new "hyperlink" feature is driving me mad, and I
haven't found a way to turn it off. Am I missing something? Please
help, I use this all of the time!

Thanks,
Jeff



0

Please sign in to leave a comment.