Following a post of Dmitry in the thread " Show Code Coverage Coloring
is messed up." (quoted below), I just made some tests along those lines,
trying to get back the Resharper entries in the fonts&colors dialog that
went missing after installation of build 222.
The details go as follows:
- initial state: no RS entries in the fonts&colors options dialog
- devenv /setup -> nope
- delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0 -> nope (but it reset all
- devenv /setup -> yup, RS entries reappeared
- restored regkey -> nope, they disappeared again
- delete only the fonts&colors regkey + devenv /setup -> yup, reappeared
- restored settings in VS (from a time when the entries weren't there) ->
- devenv /setup -> nope, that removed RS from Fonts&Colors
- delete only the fonts&colors cache regkey -> yup, reappeared
- devenv /setup -> nope, disappeared (looks like a pattern here)
- delete f&c cache regkey -> yup, reappeared
- close/reopen VS -> yup, still there
Based on this, I would conclude that yes, the problem lies in the caching of
the fonts & colors entries. Removing only this key in the registry instantly
fixes the problem.
However, running devenv /setup seems to remove the entries once again. Not
sure why, but something must be happening with RS around here, since it
didn't happen before (or at least it doesn't happen for everyone with every
If the problem with devenv /setup removing the entries could be fixed, a
simple way to fix the disappearance might be to remove the fonts&colors
cache regkey on installation?
Well, at least it worked for me, so thanks for the idea of hitting this
particular registry key :)
"Dmitry Shaporenkov (JetBrains)" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
I've just run into this problem myself: all ReSharper entries in Fonts and
dialog were missing. I spent some time on it was finally able to fix it.
I'm not completely
sure what exactly made the trick, but what I learned from that is:
1) The problem seems to be caused by some bad caching of Fonts and Colors
entries inside VS
2) In order to reset VS to its initial state, I cleaned up several places
a) Deleted completely the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0
b) Deleted the whole folder Documents and Settings\<user>\Local
c) Deleted the whole folder Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
None of the above places contain a valuable information so they all can be
safely deleted. After deletion I run 'devenv /setup', and - o, miracle!
Fonts and Colors entries are back!
It'd be great if you can repeat my experiment and notify me of your
"Develop with pleasure!"