Intellisense Bug

I think I just found a bug in the Intellisense algorithm in build 251. I am attempting to migrate some code from Visual Studio 2003 and .NET Framework 1.1 to Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 to take advantage of some of the new features and to make the code a bit more robust, and I have changed ReSharper's options to show Intellisense when typing a period (Auto-popup after dot is enabled). I am attempting to instantiate a new StreamReader with a base stream and enter the following code fragment:

using(StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(stream, new System.Text.

The odd thing is that only RegularExpressions is showing in the member list. I press ESC to dismiss the rather odd list showing only RegularExpressions, backspace over the period, and type a period again. This time I see the entire member list beginning with ASCIIEncoding and going through UTF8Encoding. I suspect this is because when I type System.T, both System.Text and System.Text.RegularExpressions are showing in the list, but it seems somewhat odd to show members of the child namespace when I am at the parent namespace level.

I could have simply typed "new ASCII..." to get the correct type, but I took the long approach using the full namespace because I wasn't certain which encoding scheme I wanted to use and wanted to get the full list before making a decision.

2 comments
Comment actions Permalink

+1
I have this issue as well sometimes, when pressing ctrl(alt)space
sometimes local members/classes aren't shown anymore, I have to press
ctrl(alt)space again...


Lothan wrote:

I think I just found a bug in the Intellisense algorithm in build 251. I
am attempting to migrate some code from Visual Studio 2003 and .NET
Framework 1.1 to Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 to take
advantage of some of the new features and to make the code a bit more
robust, and I have changed ReSharper's options to show Intellisense when
typing a period (Auto-popup after dot is enabled). I am attempting to
instantiate a new StreamReader with a base stream and enter the
following code fragment:

using(StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(stream, new System.Text.

The odd thing is that only RegularExpressions is showing in the member
list. I press ESC to dismiss the rather odd list showing only
RegularExpressions, backspace over the period, and type a period again.
This time I see the entire member list beginning with ASCIIEncoding and
going through UTF8Encoding. I suspect this is because when I type
System.T, both System.Text and System.Text.RegularExpressions are
showing in the list, but it seems somewhat odd to show members of the
child namespace when I am at the parent namespace level.

I could have simply typed "new ASCII..." to get the correct type, but I
took the long approach using the full namespace because I wasn't certain
which encoding scheme I wanted to use and wanted to get the full list
before making a decision.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'd suggest filing a request in Tracker for this...
"Lothan" <lothan@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:e6h09l$sh0$1@is.intellij.net...
I think I just found a bug in the Intellisense algorithm in build 251. I am attempting to migrate some code from Visual Studio 2003 and .NET Framework 1.1 to Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 to take advantage of some of the new features and to make the code a bit more robust, and I have changed ReSharper's options to show Intellisense when typing a period (Auto-popup after dot is enabled). I am attempting to instantiate a new StreamReader with a base stream and enter the following code fragment:

using(StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(stream, new System.Text.

The odd thing is that only RegularExpressions is showing in the member list. I press ESC to dismiss the rather odd list showing only RegularExpressions, backspace over the period, and type a period again. This time I see the entire member list beginning with ASCIIEncoding and going through UTF8Encoding. I suspect this is because when I type System.T, both System.Text and System.Text.RegularExpressions are showing in the list, but it seems somewhat odd to show members of the child namespace when I am at the parent namespace level.

I could have simply typed "new ASCII..." to get the correct type, but I took the long approach using the full namespace because I wasn't certain which encoding scheme I wanted to use and wanted to get the full list before making a decision.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.