File Structure window forgets dockness

The File Structure window seems to not remember that it was docked to the
left of my documents whenever I restart VS.

--
Rajiv Delwadia
VersionOne LLC


25 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Could you please check this? Do the following sequence of steps:

1. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.
2. Dock File Structure window wherever you want.
3. Close Visual Studio.
4. Make sure that Visual Studio process has exited (there is no process named
'devenv.exe' in the Task Manager).
5. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.

Valentin Kipiatkov
CTO and Chief Scientist
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

The File Structure window seems to not remember that it was docked to
the left of my documents whenever I restart VS.



0
Comment actions Permalink

Valentin Kipiatkov (JetBrains) wrote:

Could you please check this? Do the following sequence of steps:

1. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.
2. Dock File Structure window wherever you want.
3. Close Visual Studio.
4. Make sure that Visual Studio process has exited (there is no process
named 'devenv.exe' in the Task Manager).
5. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.


I'm getting the same problem - actually, it seems that /any/ R# docked
window -- /if it is the visible tab in the docked group when I close
Visual Studio/ -- is undocked when I restart Visual Studio. (R# 2.5)

I've seen this with the Unit Test Runner and the Find Results window as
well as the File Structure window.

Just to double-check, I just made sure the R# windows were not the
selected tab in each dock group, closed VS, re-opened, and there was no
problem at all.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello,

We appreciate your feedback.

The corresponding JIRA request has been created, and you are welcome to monitor
its status at http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/RSRP-33703.

Best regards,
- Development Team.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Chris,

have you tried the sequence of steps proposed in Valentin's message? Doesn't
it work for you? Thanks.


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


Valentin Kipiatkov (JetBrains) wrote:

>> Could you please check this? Do the following sequence of steps:
>>
>> 1. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.
>> 2. Dock File Structure window wherever you want.
>> 3. Close Visual Studio.
>> 4. Make sure that Visual Studio process has exited (there is no
>> process
>> named 'devenv.exe' in the Task Manager).
>> 5. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.

I'm getting the same problem - actually, it seems that /any/ R# docked
window -- /if it is the visible tab in the docked group when I close
Visual Studio/ -- is undocked when I restart Visual Studio. (R# 2.5)

I've seen this with the Unit Test Runner and the Find Results window
as well as the File Structure window.

Just to double-check, I just made sure the R# windows were not the
selected tab in each dock group, closed VS, re-opened, and there was
no problem at all.



0
Comment actions Permalink

Dmitry Shaporenkov wrote:

Hello Chris,

have you tried the sequence of steps proposed in Valentin's message?
Doesn't it work for you? Thanks.


Interesting. I thought I had done those steps explicitly - but now that
I try just those steps, I cannot recreate the problem.

So, I tried again, but this time I ran a unit test (in R#'s runner) in
between steps 2 and 3, then finished the rest of the steps, and had the
undocked problem again.

I suppose there's some sort of usage required as a step 2a. in order to
recreate the problem, but I don't know what.


>> Valentin Kipiatkov (JetBrains) wrote:
>>
>>> Could you please check this? Do the following sequence of steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.
>>> 2. Dock File Structure window wherever you want.
>>> 3. Close Visual Studio.
>>> 4. Make sure that Visual Studio process has exited (there is no
>>> process
>>> named 'devenv.exe' in the Task Manager).
>>> 5. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Chris,

that's odd - I tried to repeat this sequence of steps with additional (single)
unit test run step inserted between 2 and 3, and tool windows restored
their position and visibility normally. Are you sure that there weren't any
additional actions you undertook in order to repeat the problem?


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


Dmitry Shaporenkov wrote:

>> Hello Chris,
>>
>> have you tried the sequence of steps proposed in Valentin's message?
>> Doesn't it work for you? Thanks.
>>

Interesting. I thought I had done those steps explicitly - but now
that I try just those steps, I cannot recreate the problem.

So, I tried again, but this time I ran a unit test (in R#'s runner) in
between steps 2 and 3, then finished the rest of the steps, and had
the undocked problem again.

I suppose there's some sort of usage required as a step 2a. in order
to recreate the problem, but I don't know what.

>>> Valentin Kipiatkov (JetBrains) wrote:
>>>
>>>> Could you please check this? Do the following sequence of steps:
>>>>
>>>> 1. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.
>>>> 2. Dock File Structure window wherever you want.
>>>> 3. Close Visual Studio.
>>>> 4. Make sure that Visual Studio process has exited (there is no
>>>> process
>>>> named 'devenv.exe' in the Task Manager).
>>>> 5. Start Visual Studio and open a solution.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Dmitry Shaporenkov wrote:

Hello Chris,

that's odd - I tried to repeat this sequence of steps with additional
(single) unit test run step inserted between 2 and 3, and tool windows
restored
their position and visibility normally. Are you sure that there weren't
any additional actions you undertook in order to repeat the problem?



In that one case, I don't think so. But, I wasn't being very careful.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time to experiment with this - if
there's a special build I can run for y'all or something else to get you
some diagnostic information, I might be able to help you out there.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Chris Morris wrote:

Dmitry Shaporenkov wrote:

>> Hello Chris,
>>
>> that's odd - I tried to repeat this sequence of steps with additional
>> (single) unit test run step inserted between 2 and 3, and tool windows
>> restored
>> their position and visibility normally. Are you sure that there
>> weren't any additional actions you undertook in order to repeat the
>> problem?


In that one case, I don't think so. But, I wasn't being very careful.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time to experiment with this - if
there's a special build I can run for y'all or something else to get you
some diagnostic information, I might be able to help you out there.



Any updates on this? Every time I open VS I have to re-dock a few R#
windows and it's starting to drive me insane, I think. (The code ...
it's full of stars!)

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am seeing this too.

I usually deal with the File Structure window, but I think this applies to any window. When I run through the steps that Valentin mentioned, the window remains docked. But I usually find that after a day of working in Studio, the next time I open it up, the window is undocked. It is positioned right in the center of the area where I had previously docked it.

I haven't been able to isolate the steps to reproduce it, but I'll try to provide some more information.

BenT

null

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm also continuing to experience this problem - with both the File
Structure and the Find Usages windows. I cant seem to reliably get them
to remember their dockness when VS is reopened.

I noticed that this issue had been closed however

Ben Tsai wrote:

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in and say that I am seeing this too.

I usually deal with the File Structure window, but I think this applies to any window. When I run through the steps that Chris mentioned, the window remains docked. But I usually find that after a day of working in Studio, the next time I open it up, the window is undocked. It is positioned right in the center of the area where I had previously docked it.

I haven't been able to isolate the steps to reproduce it, but I'll try to provide some more information.

BenT

0
Comment actions Permalink

My dev machine at work went belly up, and so I've rebuilt on a brand new
machine. Installed VS 2005, then its service pack 1, then R# 2.5.1 (b. 337).

Showed the File Structure. Docked it to the right of everything, by
itself (I'd already moved the Solution Explorer to be docked on the
left). Closed VS. Re-open, re-open my last project - and there's File
Structure, same as usual, sitting undocked, in roughly the position it
was docked at.

On a whim for something different, I docked it on the left with Solution
Explorer, left File Structure open on top ... closed VS, re-opened, and
this time ... no problem. That's a first.

So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or
bottom, when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing VS,
will be undocked when re-opening VS.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Chris,

so is everything the same with other ReShaper tool windows, e.g. Unit Test
Runner or Find Results?


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


My dev machine at work went belly up, and so I've rebuilt on a brand
new machine. Installed VS 2005, then its service pack 1, then R# 2.5.1
(b. 337).

Showed the File Structure. Docked it to the right of everything, by
itself (I'd already moved the Solution Explorer to be docked on the
left). Closed VS. Re-open, re-open my last project - and there's File
Structure, same as usual, sitting undocked, in roughly the position it
was docked at.

On a whim for something different, I docked it on the left with
Solution Explorer, left File Structure open on top ... closed VS,
re-opened, and this time ... no problem. That's a first.

So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or
bottom, when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing
VS, will be undocked when re-opening VS.



0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Dmitry,

I've reported this before, concerning the File Structure window. I have the
File Structure window and the Find Results window docked together on the
left and pinned. When I open a solution, the last on top will be undocked.
Sometimes, and this is rare, they will both be docked. I have recently started
using the Unit Test Runner, docked to the bottom of the editor pane. It also
will start undocked when I open a solution. Additionally, and this probably
should be in a separate notice, but: (1) if I open a solution that does not
have tests I would rather the Unit Test Runner window not load, (2) if I
closed the Unit Test Runner window and run tests have it display again.

Hello Chris,

so is everything the same with other ReShaper tool windows, e.g. Unit
Test Runner or Find Results?

Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

>> My dev machine at work went belly up, and so I've rebuilt on a brand
>> new machine. Installed VS 2005, then its service pack 1, then R#
>> 2.5.1 (b. 337).
>>
>> Showed the File Structure. Docked it to the right of everything, by
>> itself (I'd already moved the Solution Explorer to be docked on the
>> left). Closed VS. Re-open, re-open my last project - and there's File
>> Structure, same as usual, sitting undocked, in roughly the position
>> it was docked at.
>>
>> On a whim for something different, I docked it on the left with
>> Solution Explorer, left File Structure open on top ... closed VS,
>> re-opened, and this time ... no problem. That's a first.
>>
>> So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or
>> bottom, when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing
>> VS, will be undocked when re-opening VS.
>>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Dmitry Shaporenkov wrote:

Hello Chris,

so is everything the same with other ReShaper tool windows, e.g. Unit
Test Runner or Find Results?


Well, good for me, but no help for the rest of you suffering with this
-- the problem's gone away for me, I can't recreate it no matter what I
try now.

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Chris Morris" <chris.morris@einstruction.com> schreef in bericht
news:ergtdp$9sn$1@is.intellij.net...

...
So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or bottom,
when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing VS, will be
undocked when re-opening VS.


This describes what happens on my machine. But it also happens when docked
left. I use to have my solution browser at the far left (like every normal
(dedveloper) program), and the file structure to the right of that, but
still left of the editor window. The file tructure is always on its own, so
it is always visible, and after every start i have to dock it again.

I dock the Find results window at the bottom, together with several other
tabs (output, errors, find results 1, ...) and whenever left visible at
closing the IDE, it is undocked the next time.

Same for file hierarchy and the exception tracer

HTH,
Erwin


0
Comment actions Permalink

I still have these problems. However, if you close the Solution
separately prior to closing Visual Studio then docking settings are
reliably remembered.

JG

Erwin Derksen wrote:

"Chris Morris" <chris.morris@einstruction.com> schreef in bericht
news:ergtdp$9sn$1@is.intellij.net...

>> ...
>> So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or bottom,
>> when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing VS, will be
>> undocked when re-opening VS.


This describes what happens on my machine. But it also happens when docked
left. I use to have my solution browser at the far left (like every normal
(dedveloper) program), and the file structure to the right of that, but
still left of the editor window. The file tructure is always on its own, so
it is always visible, and after every start i have to dock it again.

I dock the Find results window at the bottom, together with several other
tabs (output, errors, find results 1, ...) and whenever left visible at
closing the IDE, it is undocked the next time.

Same for file hierarchy and the exception tracer

HTH,
Erwin

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Erwin,

if the problem is always repeatable for you, could you please submit VS log
here? To capture the log, please run
'devenv /log C:\logfile.txt', wait for VS and ReSharper to initialize, open
a solution, check that ReSharper windows
are undocked and close VS. Please then post 'logfile.txt' here.


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


"Chris Morris" <chris.morris@einstruction.com> schreef in bericht
news:ergtdp$9sn$1@is.intellij.net...

>> ...
>> So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or
>> bottom,
>> when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing VS, will
>> be
>> undocked when re-opening VS.

This describes what happens on my machine. But it also happens when
docked left. I use to have my solution browser at the far left (like
every normal (dedveloper) program), and the file structure to the
right of that, but still left of the editor window. The file tructure
is always on its own, so it is always visible, and after every start i
have to dock it again.

I dock the Find results window at the bottom, together with several
other tabs (output, errors, find results 1, ...) and whenever left
visible at closing the IDE, it is undocked the next time.

Same for file hierarchy and the exception tracer

HTH,
Erwin



0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello John,

that's interesting. Do you mean that the problem goes away if you close the
solution manually before closing VS in the previous VS session?
Thanks.


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


I still have these problems. However, if you close the Solution
separately prior to closing Visual Studio then docking settings are
reliably remembered.

JG

Erwin Derksen wrote:

>> "Chris Morris" <chris.morris@einstruction.com> schreef in bericht
>> news:ergtdp$9sn$1@is.intellij.net...
>>
>>> ...
>>> So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or
>>> bottom,
>>> when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing VS,
>>> will be
>>> undocked when re-opening VS.
>> This describes what happens on my machine. But it also happens when
>> docked left. I use to have my solution browser at the far left (like
>> every normal (dedveloper) program), and the file structure to the
>> right of that, but still left of the editor window. The file tructure
>> is always on its own, so it is always visible, and after every start
>> i have to dock it again.
>>
>> I dock the Find results window at the bottom, together with several
>> other tabs (output, errors, find results 1, ...) and whenever left
>> visible at closing the IDE, it is undocked the next time.
>>
>> Same for file hierarchy and the exception tracer
>>
>> HTH,
>> Erwin


0
Comment actions Permalink

Chris Morris wrote:

Well, good for me, but no help for the rest of you suffering with this
-- the problem's gone away for me, I can't recreate it no matter what I
try now.


... and it's back this morning. :)

I'll see if I can run the log thing Dmitry wrote about.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yes - that exactly what happens! (Using VS05 with SP1 and build 351)
JG

Dmitry Shaporenkov wrote:

Hello John,

that's interesting. Do you mean that the problem goes away if you close
the solution manually before closing VS in the previous VS session?
Thanks.


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


>> I still have these problems. However, if you close the Solution
>> separately prior to closing Visual Studio then docking settings are
>> reliably remembered.
>>
>> JG
>>
>> Erwin Derksen wrote:
>>
>>> "Chris Morris" <chris.morris@einstruction.com> schreef in bericht
>>> news:ergtdp$9sn$1@is.intellij.net...
>>>
>>>> ...
>>>> So, I may have narrowed it down to: any R# window, docked right or
>>>> bottom,
>>>> when left as the visible tab in the dock group, when closing VS,
>>>> will be
>>>> undocked when re-opening VS.
>>> This describes what happens on my machine. But it also happens when
>>> docked left. I use to have my solution browser at the far left (like
>>> every normal (dedveloper) program), and the file structure to the
>>> right of that, but still left of the editor window. The file tructure
>>> is always on its own, so it is always visible, and after every start
>>> i have to dock it again.
>>>
>>> I dock the Find results window at the bottom, together with several
>>> other tabs (output, errors, find results 1, ...) and whenever left
>>> visible at closing the IDE, it is undocked the next time.
>>>
>>> Same for file hierarchy and the exception tracer
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Erwin


0
Comment actions Permalink

Dmitri,

I have monitored it for some days now and it is not consistently repeatable. It happens often but not all the times (say in 50% to 70% of the program starts). Sometimes it is only the file structure window, sometimes it is both the file structure and find results windows that do not get docked. Enclosed is is the requested log. Logfile1.txt is from a devenv start where the windows were docked correctly, logfile.txt from a devenv start where only the file structure window did not get docked (but find results (visible tab) and type hierarchy did).

HTH,
Erwin



Attachment(s):
logfile1.txt
logfile.txt
0
Comment actions Permalink

Perhaps you're interested in the Resharper log as well. So I'll attach it here as well. It's from another restart, but the same behaviour. To be able to match times I will attach the logfile form devenv one more time as well.

HTH,
Erwin



Attachment(s):
logfile.txt
tmp17.tmp.ReSharper.1940.txt
0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Erwin,

I'm not sure if it is related but there is a following suspicious entry in
the logfile.txt :

143 2007/03/01 07:32:36.381 Information Microsoft Visual Studio Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Common IDE Package] {6E87CFAD-6C05-4ADF-9CD7-3B7943875B7C} ]]>

We've submitted a question about how this might relate to not forgetting
tool window states & positions to Microsoft.


Dmitry Shaporenkov
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


Dmitri,

I have monitored it for some days now and it is not consistently
repeatable. It happens often but not all the times (say in 50% to 70%
of the program starts). Sometimes it is only the file structure
window, sometimes it is both the file structure and find results
windows that do not get docked. Enclosed is is the requested log.
Logfile1.txt is from a devenv start where the windows were docked
correctly, logfile.txt from a devenv start where only the file
structure window did not get docked (but find results (visible tab)
and type hierarchy did).

HTH,
Erwin



0
Comment actions Permalink

I've been seeing this one as well, and I also can't quite recognize the pattern of when it does and when it doesn't forget. I use two monitors, don't know if that impacts thigns. I'll look for a pattern and let you know if I see one.

0
Comment actions Permalink

John Long wrote:

I use two monitors, don't know if that impacts thigns.


I also have two monitors. And while the problem seemed to go away after
getting setup on a new machine, it's been creeping back into
circulation, seems to happen a lot now.

I'll see if I can try the logging thing one of these days.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.