R# 2018.3 issues with Unit Tests in Visual Studio 2017

Today I installed R# 2018.3 and I have about 1880 unit + integration tests in my solution. In previous versions of R# when I open the Unit Test Explorer window and right-mouse click my tests I could choose Run Unit Tests and it would automatically start a new Unit Test Tession. As of R# 2018.3 when I try that nothing happens and in the Unit Test Sessions window I see "no open unit test sessions".

When I right-mouse click the top entry of my tests and choose "Create New Session" (Ctrl + U + N) it does create a new session but nothing happens, the tests are not run and the tests count is incorrect.

Even when I click the 'play' button to run all the tests nothing happens. Furthermore I see this in the right corner of my status bar:

I tried a repair installation of R# 2018.3 twice, but I still had this problem.The only solution was to fallback to R# 2018.2.3 and it immediately started to work again as before.

What could explain this behavior?

4 comments
Comment actions Permalink
Official comment

Hello Gabriel,

Sorry to hear you have problems. We will try to help you, but we would also need your help.

First of all, I would like you to send us logs of your first attempt to run test from Unit-Test Explorer after opening a solution. This should be sufficient to diagnose it.

Next, not sure whether I understood you correctly, but it sounded as if you never started a test run after creating a new session using 'Create New Session' action. This action only creates a session, it does not start it automatically.

And finally, we would be very grateful if you could send us a repro of a case where a newly created session have tests' counts mismatched. We are ready to sign all necessary NDAs.

Comment actions Permalink

Hello Eugene,

I will try again tomorrow morning and I will send the logs.

I did click the ‘play’ button to run all the tests after starting a new session but nothing happened.

About the code I am afraid that I cannot send you anything. This is a project for the Belgian government which I cannot share. I will try to reproduce it with a new application.

Thank you

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Eugene

I have tried again and this time everything worked as expected. Not sure why it did not work the first time but here are the steps I took to try again:

  1. Downloaded the installer for R# 2018.03
  2. Installed R# 2018.03
  3. Started Visual Studio 2017 using the following command line:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /ReSharper.LogFile C:\log\resharper_log.txt /ReSharper.LogLevel Verbose
  4. Opened my solution
  5. Opened the Unit Test Explorer window and I saw that this time the test count was correct
  6. Then I started all the tests from within the Unit Test Explorer
  7. The solution got build
  8. A new session was automatically started in the Unit Test Sessions window
  9. Tests were being run correctly

Regards

0
Comment actions Permalink

It seems that the incorrect number of tests are the consequence of giving tests more than one category and then choosing for grouping by 'Project and Categories'.

For example I have 5 tests that fail but because these tests are in the category 'Integration' and 'FullText' I see them twice and hence the test count is 2*5=10:

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.