Code Coverage Suddenly Fails to Work


Hi, I've been using

  • JetBrains ReSharper Ultimate 2017.3.2    Build 111.0.20180201.63358
  • Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
    Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.00081

and Code Coverage analysis had been working perfectly fine for a month.  Suddenly last week I started getting the following error every time I attempt to "Cover Unit Tests":

  • Coverage analysis: Profiler message: Instrumentation was requested, but wasn't made (C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\JetBrains\Installations\ReSharperPlatformVs12\JetBrains.ReSharper.TaskRunner.CLR45.x64.exe [pid=6912])


Searching through similar issues I saw mention of potential issues due to WIndows Updates, profiles with limited access, etc.  While I am working on a machine with admin rights restricted a bit (a COTS tool is used to control admin elevation), the coverage analysis had been working fine with it since I installed Resharper Ultimate and dotCover last month.

I have several co-workers with similar machines, similar access restrictions, and they still can use code coverage analysis.  I am actively working with our internal IT team to determine what updates/patches/etc may have been applied to just my machine recently, but I am still stumped in the mean time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.





[Solved] - It turns out the problem was due to a coverage filter that had been recently created.  (It was created at the end of the week, and simply forgotten about when the next code coverage analysis was made).  The rule I added seemed pretty simple so I don't know why it caused a problem.  Here's how it was configured

  • Filter rule  [Analyze code in]
  • assembly [*]
  • class        [AClassName]
  • method    [*]
  • Apply filter to [Current Solution]


There were no indications in any error messages that a filter was to blame.  (I had enabled verbose logging for Resharper, but that didn't provide me with any extra messages applicable to my problem)  Since the coverage filter is a user setting, it was saved in a file that wasn't affected by my numerous uninstall/reinstall attempts. 


Hello, Steven,

Glad that you've sorted out the issue!
Here's a feature request to help users to troubleshoot empty/missing coverage results, you are welcome to vote for it.



Hi Fedor,

I update DotCover from 2018.1.4 to 2019.1.1. The error message changed to:

[10:16:07][Step 4/4] Results (nunit3) saved as C:\BuildAgent\temp\buildTmp\kfmweJWUr5t164NXUfZFaZKR7DaEnrb6.nunit.xml
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] [JetBrains dotCover] Coverage session finished with errors: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] PDB server error: Invalid MVID for the absolute module path is detected
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] [location] = c:\build agent\work\bfa4fdaf596dff\profiler\kernel\windows\native\solution\pdb_server\src\pdb_processor.cpp(197)
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] [function] = unsigned int __cdecl jbprof::pdb_processor::load_module(const class boost::filesystem::path &,const struct _GUID &)
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] [location] = c:\build agent\work\bfa4fdaf596dff\profiler\kernel\windows\native\solution\core\src\bridges\pdb\pdb_bridge.cpp(196)
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] [function] = void __thiscall jbprof::pdb_bridge::send_receive_command(const char *,enum jbprof::pdb_bridge::time_key,enum jbprof::pdb_bridge::time_key,enum jbprof::pdb_bridge_command,enum jbprof::pdb_bridge_answer,class std::function<void __cdecl(struct write_stream_iface *)>,class std::function<void __cdecl(struct read_stream_iface *)>).
[10:16:09][Step 4/4] Process exited with code -2



Please sign in to leave a comment.