Support for MSTest in future versions?

Hello guys

Are there any plans to add support for MSTest in ReSharper? I know about
James Kovacs's VstsUnit plugin for ReSharper but it would be nice to see
this in ReSharper.

Regards

Gabriel Lozano-Moran

22 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Gabriel Lozano-Moran,

We currently have no plans to support MSTest directly.

Sincerely,
Ilya Ryzhenkov

JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


G> Hello guys
G>
G> Are there any plans to add support for MSTest in ReSharper? I know
G> about James Kovacs's VstsUnit plugin for ReSharper but it would be
G> nice to see this in ReSharper.
G>
G> Regards
G>
G> Gabriel Lozano-Moran
G>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Is there a good reason why not? Especially as now it's built into VS2008

"Ilya Ryzhenkov" <orangy@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
news:76a2bd0b1509f78ca4133089d54c4@news.intellij.net...

Hello Gabriel Lozano-Moran,

>

We currently have no plans to support MSTest directly.

>

Sincerely,
Ilya Ryzhenkov

>

JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

>
>

G> Hello guys
G> G> Are there any plans to add support for MSTest in ReSharper? I know
G> about James Kovacs's VstsUnit plugin for ReSharper but it would be
G> nice to see this in ReSharper.
G> G> Regards
G> G> Gabriel Lozano-Moran
G>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Barry,

What's there in MSTest that makes it better than NUnit? I'm just curious.

Sincerely,
Ilya Ryzhenkov

JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


BD> Is there a good reason why not? Especially as now it's built into
BD> VS2008
BD>
BD> "Ilya Ryzhenkov" <orangy@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
BD> news:76a2bd0b1509f78ca4133089d54c4@news.intellij.net...
BD>
>> Hello Gabriel Lozano-Moran,
>>
>> We currently have no plans to support MSTest directly.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Ilya Ryzhenkov
>> JetBrains, Inc
>> http://www.jetbrains.com
>> "Develop with pleasure!"
>> G> Hello guys
>> G> G> Are there any plans to add support for MSTest in ReSharper? I
>> know
>> G> about James Kovacs's VstsUnit plugin for ReSharper but it would be
>> G> nice to see this in ReSharper.
>> G> G> Regards
>> G> G> Gabriel Lozano-Moran
>> G>


0
Comment actions Permalink


"Ilya Ryzhenkov" <orangy@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
news:76a2bd0b1517d98ca47b05dab8f96@news.intellij.net...

Hello Barry,

>

What's there in MSTest that makes it better than NUnit? I'm just curious.


It's not a matter of better, it's a matter of it being there out of the box
in 2008. Plus of course TFS integration. Of couse VS provides the same menu
options as Resharper does for nunit; so perhaps a good compromise would be
the ability to disable the Resharper unit test menu altogether if you're
using MSTest, so that it doesn't even appear

0
Comment actions Permalink

Here's another request to either support MSTest or an option to disable the menu options.

We use MSTest since it's built-in and has good integration with VS Team System.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Please don't disable the menu option,

Please Please support MSTest

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Duncan" <duncan.butler1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:12800321.1204210810566.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

Please don't disable the menu option,

>

Please Please support MSTest


What do you think the menu option gives you over and above MSTest's
integration into VS already?

0
Comment actions Permalink

I use the current test runner supplied with 2008

I am not in favor of disabling the menu item simply because IMO it sends the wrong message to new users.

In addition I am hoping that the Resharper test runner would be a bit simpler and run a bit quicker. The current test runner for Microsoft test fixtures is full of features, nearly all of which I personally don't use, and creates files that are added to the solution, which cause the solution items folder to become over large

What I would like is the Resharper runner to provide a simple interface,

1. run all tests in the solution
2. run test that the cursor is currently in

no extra files or configuration, if I want the test results to be saved, then I can leave that to my build server and its scripts, the in situ test runner for me should be light weight and quick.

Why am I using the MSTF, because I want to encourage unit testing in my team, and because its built in, no extra dependencies have to be installed or imported, a solution can be loaded, and the tests run with no additional setup.

When an external test fixture is used (I happen to like MBUnit) the dlls etc have to be installed on the new users machine before the solution can be compiled, or the test projects have to be removed, which is what happens, so the new coder never looks at my tests, at least if they compile using the built in fixture then the new coder has to go the extra setup to remove the tests, and you never know they might even look at them ;)

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Duncan" <duncan.butler1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:27936445.1204274613947.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

What I would like is the Resharper runner to provide a simple interface,

>

1. run all tests in the solution
2. run test that the cursor is currently in


But VS already has those options; heh; which is why I wouldn't mind if the
R# menu option went away if I flicked a switch; especially as it makes
assumptions. Guys if nUnit isn't installed then don't give me nUnit menu
options.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I still don't like the way the MSTF puts vsmdi files in the solution items folder,

but yes i do see your point about the menus, "if I haven't got it, don't show it" is properly a good UI rule

0
Comment actions Permalink

I second both:

- Supporting MSTest; and
- The ability to turn off the NUnit testing support (I requested this a couple years ago)

Jeff Odell

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Jeffrey Odell" <no_replay@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
news:7482403.1204324943398.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...
>I second both:
>

- Supporting MSTest; and
- The ability to turn off the NUnit testing support (I requested this a
couple years ago)

>

I keep clicking that flipping menu option. It's driving me nuts :)

0
Comment actions Permalink


Barry Dorrans wrote:

Guys if nUnit isn't installed then don't give me
nUnit menu options.


we put the nunit assemblies necessary to compile the test projects in a
vendor directory and have them in our svn repository. So there is no
need to install nunit on our machines, we only need R# with its unit
test runner. So don't disable menu items if nunit isn't installed please!

Regards,
Stefan Lieser
--
http://www.lieser-online.de

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Stefan,

I we were going to allow hide/show ReSharper's Unit Testing, we would go
simply with checkbox on Unit Testing option page. We are not sure, if we
are going to do it, but it doesn't seem to be very complex thing :)

Sincerely,
Ilya Ryzhenkov

JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


SL> Barry Dorrans wrote:
SL>
>> Guys if nUnit isn't installed then don't give me nUnit menu options.
>>
SL> we put the nunit assemblies necessary to compile the test projects
SL> in a vendor directory and have them in our svn repository. So there
SL> is no need to install nunit on our machines, we only need R# with
SL> its unit test runner. So don't disable menu items if nunit isn't
SL> installed please!
SL>
SL> Regards,
SL> Stefan Lieser
SL> --
SL> http://www.lieser-online.de


0
Comment actions Permalink


"Ilya Ryzhenkov" <orangy@jetbrains.com> wrote in message
news:76a2bd0b151cdb8ca4a7a38893b37@news.intellij.net...

Hello Stefan,

>

I we were going to allow hide/show ReSharper's Unit Testing, we would go
simply with checkbox on Unit Testing option page. We are not sure, if we
are going to do it, but it doesn't seem to be very complex thing :)


Please! Please! I'll send cake! It's annoyed me since VS2005 that one.

0
Comment actions Permalink

In my case I'm using NUnit in one project because my client is using VS2005 standard, and in another I'm using VS unit tests. So please don't disable anything automatically.
However I have always preferred the R# test runner, so I would like R# to support VS unit tests if possible.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I am trying to follow this thread and I cannot tell if you are intending on supporting MSTest in R# 4.0. I can tell you the reason I came out to the forum was to find out "when" it was going to be supported. After a long stretch of MSTest, vs. NUnit and RS, I am hoping you can put an end to my misery. At this point I can't determine which I dislike more, the MSTest GUI or the C# 3.0 code litered with red! I will be downloading the dev builds of R# 4.0 to get rid of the red and take my chances but I am hoing that MSTest will follow in the future. Thanks.

Chad

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have seen lots of arguments about what features one unit testing framework has over the other. I think that this is irrelevant. Unit testing frameworks are most often enforced by the organisation. At work, I may not have the options of using NUnit as a matter of organisational policy. If I am forced to use MSTest, I still want to get all the benefits of ReSharper unit testing features if it is able to support MSTest.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I completely agree -- it's not a matter of what framework is better or not, it's a matter of your dedication to support Visual Studio's core features. Having the ability to manually en/disable the unit testing in R# is a baby step, but it's a complete non-commital step. Right now, you're telling MSTest users that you don't care about us. This is made abundantly clear when you see the fact that the *_Accessor class isn't supported in VS08. Now, every test which interacts with a private, protected, and/or internal member has an "error" because you refuse to support the capability. This also renders solution-wide analysis almost useless, since there will always be errors. A good tool shouldn't hinder developers, it should work for them to make their lives easier. R# isn't doing that for MSTest users.

If you're using MSTest, vote for this bug!!!!

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have seen lots of arguments about what features one unit testing framework has over the other. I think that this is irrelevant. Unit testing frameworks are most often enforced by the organisation.


That is completely true. MSTest is horrible and I wouldn't be using it didn't have to. Are JetBrains any closer to support MSTest? It needs to be a first class member of the ReSharper integrations a la NUnit.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello,

That is completely true. MSTest is horrible and I wouldn't be using
it didn't have to. Are JetBrains any closer to support MSTest? It
needs to be a first class member of the ReSharper integrations a la
NUnit.


http://www.gallio.org/ has a R# plugin that brings support for multiple Unit
Testing engines, MSTest included.


Serge Baltic
JetBrains, Inc — http://www.jetbrains.com
“Develop with pleasure!”


0
Comment actions Permalink


http://www.gallio.org/ has a R# plugin that brings support for multiple Unit
Testing engines, MSTest included.


That's true, but I have 4.1 installed which isn't supported, plus this kind of functionality shouldn't be left to an OSS project. I hate MSTest. I mean real geniune loathing of it. My work-mate Mike has a good post summing up our experiences with it here. However, I have to use it. Politics politics politics.

I think a few people are in same boat as me and it's only going to get worse. Please JetBrains, support MSTest in the same manner you do NUnit.

Edited by: IainMH on Sep 16, 2008 7:24 PM

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.