Can you please turn R# JS Intellisense off in cshtml files until it's fixed, please, please...?

It is currently (2118, and been like it for a couple of weeks)  impossible to edit JS code embedded in Razor files.    There is just an endless stream of random Intellisense completion - unless you press escape between pretty much every keystroke.

I really like lots of the new stuff in R#6 (particularly the WPF/XAML improvements - much appreciated), but I have to turn R# off to be able to work on JS+Razor files.

As far as I can tell, all the R# options to do with Intellisense/completion apply across all the languages, so it's not possible for me to disable the JS nonsense without screwing-up everything else.  Is that something JB could do, at least until JS intellisense is a bit closer to being usable in the real world?

Thanks.

4 comments

As an addendum to this, if you can't disable R#'s JS intellisense, could you please make Resharper_ToggleSuspend work properly?

I've just bound it to a keystroke, so that I can suspend R# while working on an MVC3 project, and the result of toggling it on and off was to completely break VS.  (Bugs 242904, 905, 906 and 908 - the last being for several hundred exceptions that occured within a few seconds after reenabling)

Thanks.

0

Hello Will,

Thank you for your continued feedback! We will surely consider providing
a separate option for JS IntelliSense. Meanwhile, could you please describe
the problems with IntelliSense in more detail or attach a small screencast
demonstrating the behavior? We'll look at the exceptions you've mentioned
as well.

Andrey Serebryansky
Senior Support Engineer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

As an addendum to this, if you can't disable R#'s JS intellisense,
could you please make Resharper_ToggleSuspend work properly?

I've just bound it to a keystroke, so that I can suspend R# while
working on an MVC3 project, and the result of toggling it on and off
was to completely break VS.  (Bugs 242904, 905, 906 and 908 - the last
being for several hundred exceptions that occured within a few seconds
after reenabling)

Thanks.

---
Original message URL:
http://devnet.jetbrains.net/message/5299066#5299066



0

Andrey,

I have filed, with screenshots and solution files, the following:


http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243843

http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243851

http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243853

http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243854

These all show problems where the JS parsing has got in a mess. To be honest, it is so poor at the moment that anybody at JB would see instantly that the JS handling was unuseable, were they to actually try and use it.

The clean solution I used for these tests does not suffer quite so badly from R#/JS problems as the production project I was struggling with last week. I will try to find out what the differences are.   In the production project, R# is trying to complete text entered into comments, it's that messed-up.

I think that you will need to allow different completion settings for C# and JS, because selecting identifiers by substring match and then completing for any key like [dot, space, tab, enter] is OK if you can make a very accurate guess about the identifier name, like you can in C#.  However, in JS you are never going to be able to guess so accurately, and that leads to a constant fight with Resharper not to have it complete too often (mostly with the wrong stuff).



0

Hello Will,

Thank you very much for the details! I've passed this info to the corresponding
developer.

Andrey Serebryansky
Senior Support Engineer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

Andrey,

I have filed, with screenshots and solution files, the following:

http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243843
http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243851
http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243853
http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RSRP-243854
These all show problems where the JS parsing has got in a mess. To be
honest, it is so poor at the moment that anybody at JB would see
instantly that the JS handling was unuseable, were they to actually
try and use it.

The clean solution I used for these tests does not suffer quite so
badly from R#/JS problems as the production project I was struggling
with last week. I will try to find out what the differences are.   In
the production project, R# is trying to complete text entered into
comments, it's that messed-up.

I think that you will need to allow different completion settings for
C# and JS, because selecting identifiers by substring match and then
completing for any key like is OK if you can
make a very accurate guess about the identifier name, like you can in
C#.  However, in JS you are never going to be able to guess so
accurately, and that leads to a constant fight with Resharper not to
have it complete too often (mostly with the wrong stuff).

---
Original message URL:
http://devnet.jetbrains.net/message/5299157#5299157



0

Please sign in to leave a comment.