How to rerun all failed unit tests?


Is there a way to do this? If not, it's a pretty big missing feature.

- Casey


10 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Switch to "failed tests" tab. select all tests, and press the "Run..."
button on the toolbar

--
Eugene Pasynkov
Developer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"
"Casey Barton" <a@b.com> wrote in message
news:43b607bde49c8c8c01546bac0b7@news.jetbrains.com...
>

Is there a way to do this? If not, it's a pretty big missing feature.

>

- Casey

>



0
Comment actions Permalink

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:18:43 +0400, "Eugene Pasynkov \(JetBrains\)"
<Eugene.Pasynkov@jetbrains.com> wrote:

>Switch to "failed tests" tab. select all tests, and press the "Run..."
>button on the toolbar

Unfortunately that doesn't really work. "Select All" selects the
entire tree, including the parent classes and namespaces. When you
then hit Run, the entire tree is run top-down. In hierarchy view, this
always reruns the entire assembly. In plain view, every test in all
classes that have at least one failure are rerun.

Did you mean that I should control-click each leaf test separately?
That's sort of what I wanted to avoid.

NUnitGui's "Check Failed" option and VSTS's behaviour of hiding the
passed tests after a run are other ways this has been handled.

I think just having a "Rerun Failed Tests" toolbar button would be the
best thing within the reharper UI. Even if "select all" only selected
the leaf tests, it's still an extra annoying step to have to perform.

- Casey

0
Comment actions Permalink

You have to select the assembly node at the "failed tests" tab and press the
"Run..." button.
If this run all tests (but not the only failed ones), I have to check and
fix the bug

--
Eugene Pasynkov
Developer
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"
"Casey Barton" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message
news:euscj2p73cl8qsii05npna4ks4vgerkipr@4ax.com...

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:18:43 +0400, "Eugene Pasynkov \(JetBrains\)"
<Eugene.Pasynkov@jetbrains.com> wrote:

>
>>Switch to "failed tests" tab. select all tests, and press the "Run..."
>>button on the toolbar
>

Unfortunately that doesn't really work. "Select All" selects the
entire tree, including the parent classes and namespaces. When you
then hit Run, the entire tree is run top-down. In hierarchy view, this
always reruns the entire assembly. In plain view, every test in all
classes that have at least one failure are rerun.

>

Did you mean that I should control-click each leaf test separately?
That's sort of what I wanted to avoid.

>

NUnitGui's "Check Failed" option and VSTS's behaviour of hiding the
passed tests after a run are other ways this has been handled.

>

I think just having a "Rerun Failed Tests" toolbar button would be the
best thing within the reharper UI. Even if "select all" only selected
the leaf tests, it's still an extra annoying step to have to perform.

>

- Casey



0
Comment actions Permalink

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:29:59 +0400, "Eugene Pasynkov \(JetBrains\)"
<Eugene.Pasynkov@jetbrains.com> wrote:
"Casey Barton" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message
news:euscj2p73cl8qsii05npna4ks4vgerkipr@4ax.com...

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:18:43 +0400, "Eugene Pasynkov \(JetBrains\)"
<Eugene.Pasynkov@jetbrains.com> wrote:

>
>>Switch to "failed tests" tab. select all tests, and press the "Run..."
>>button on the toolbar
>

Unfortunately that doesn't really work. "Select All" selects the
entire tree, including the parent classes and namespaces. When you
then hit Run, the entire tree is run top-down. In hierarchy view, this
always reruns the entire assembly. In plain view, every test in all
classes that have at least one failure are rerun.

>[...]
>
>You have to select the assembly node at the "failed tests" tab and press the
>"Run..." button.
>If this run all tests (but not the only failed ones), I have to check and
>fix the bug


This bug still exists in 304.

- Run a test suite where 1 or more tests fail
- Switch to "Failed" tab
- Select any ancestor of a failed test
- Click "Run Selected Test"
- All tests under the selected ancestor are rerun ( not just failed
tests)

- Casey

0
Comment actions Permalink

We'll fix this bug for the release, thanks!

Valentin Kipiatkov
CTO and Chief Scientist
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:29:59 +0400, "Eugene Pasynkov \(JetBrains\)"
<Eugene.Pasynkov@jetbrains.com> wrote:
"Casey Barton" <foo@bar.com> wrote in message
news:euscj2p73cl8qsii05npna4ks4vgerkipr@4ax.com...

>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:18:43 +0400, "Eugene Pasynkov \(JetBrains\)"
>> <Eugene.Pasynkov@jetbrains.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Switch to "failed tests" tab. select all tests, and press the
>>> "Run..." button on the toolbar
>>>
>> Unfortunately that doesn't really work. "Select All" selects the
>> entire tree, including the parent classes and namespaces. When you
>> then hit Run, the entire tree is run top-down. In hierarchy view,
>> this
>> always reruns the entire assembly. In plain view, every test in all
>> classes that have at least one failure are rerun.
>>
>> You have to select the assembly node at the "failed tests" tab and
>> press the
>> "Run..." button.
>> If this run all tests (but not the only failed ones), I have to check
>> and
>> fix the bug

This bug still exists in 304.

- Run a test suite where 1 or more tests fail
- Switch to "Failed" tab
- Select any ancestor of a failed test
- Click "Run Selected Test"
- All tests under the selected ancestor are rerun ( not just failed
tests)
- Casey



0
Comment actions Permalink

I believe this is still an issue, is there a bug i can track?

0
Comment actions Permalink

This issue is in Rider too, which I'm guessing uses the same codebase.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Carlin!

 

To run only failed tests either in R# or in Rider please:

1. filter failed tests by pressing 'Failed Tests' icon in Unit Test Session window

2. press 'Run Unit Tests' button.

Thank you.

 

0
Comment actions Permalink

That doesn't work for me. Maybe it's re-running everything because I have an assembly level SetUpFixture?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Carlin!

 

Sorry for delay in responding.

Could you please provide some screencast (e.g. using the following tool https://www.techsmith.com/jing-tool.html) illustrating the issue?

Thanks in advance!

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.